BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

For my sister...

Growing up, my sister Colleenia (Keen) and I didn't get along too well. I don't know if it was sibling rivalry or what. We actually had fist punching, hair pulling, really bad and mean fights. There was some weird competition or something. Even when I moved out and she still lived at home, there was tension. Not as bad, but there was still something there where it just seemed like we didn't get along or something. Don't know what it was...

But now? Now it's different.

She is one of the most kind-hearted people I know. She is also one of the strongest people I know.


Keen got married in 2003 to Sean Kranendonk, when my DarTanion was only a month old. He's always been Uncle Sean. The kids love him. Sean is an only child from a broken home. He's a little needy for my liking, but that's the kind of guy Colleenia needs. Someone to need her, to want her and to love her. And Sean does that.


They had a little girl, Kaylee, in December 2006. Since Sean's Dad wasn't around growing up, Sean decided that he was going to be the BEST Dad to that little girl - and he is. And Colleenia is a fantastic mom. Kaylee is spoiled and cute and completely loved.

In early 2008, Sean was diagnosed with Cancer. Lots of it filled his body. It was in his stomach, his esophagus, and trying to get all over in to the rest of his torso. Outlook was grim. The doctors were baffled because this kind of cancer doesn't usually affect young, healthy guys. It's an older man type of cancer. But he had it and was going to live through it!

He went thru Chemo and Radiation. He was sick all the time. He still tried to work on his non-Chemo weeks to support his little family. Colleenia took on a second waitress job to bring in more money for the doctor bills. Life was tough, but they were making it. They still tried to do things together as a family. They still spent time together. Colleenia would try and be there for every doctor appointment and Kaylee was never left at a stranger's house to be baby sat. They faced it together. They didn't want to talk about the 'what if'....

Sean seemed to be in remission at the end of 2008. Things seemed okay. We were all excited and hopeful! But in the beginning of 2009, test came back showing that the cancer had came back. More quickly than it should have. More rampant than before.

Sean has been battling hard all year. Lots more Chemo, radiation, medicines, surgeries.... He had his stomach removed to avoid the cancer spreading. It still spread. He can't eat much now, but even when he does, he just pukes it back up. It makes him more sick. Sean has said that he can feel his body shutting down.

For the last month, Sean has been in the hospital. He's been really sick. His temperature has gone up and down into the scary ranges of each. Doctors don't know what has been causing it. They are baffled again. He has been so weak, that he can't even go to the bathroom by himself. They don't know what has been making him so sick. They think he may have an infection inside him, but they've been unable to locate it. He's been transferred back and forth from the University of Utah Hospital and Huntsman Cancer Institute. The outlook isn't good...

This whole time, Colleenia has been by his side. She didn't necessarily quit her jobs, but just told them the circumstance and said that she is sorry, but that she has to be with him. They are understanding, which has been really nice, but the only money coming in now is her AVON money...

Sean doesn't want to be alone and Colleenia doesn't want to leave him. She will take a couple hours each week to go home, pay bills and make sure that their house is still there, but then she goes right back to the hospital. She has actually also taken some time to go to my parents house to see Kaylee. Kaylee is living with Grandma and Grandpa Barlow right now while Mom and Dad are at the hospital...

I can't imagine going through everything that they have gone through. I can't imagine the emotional drain it must be to watch the one you love slowly fade away. And for such hands on, attentive parents to not be able to see their little girl whenever they want, it must be killing them. Colleenia has stayed positive and encouraging since the beginning. I don't know what she'll do if he doesn't get better...

Keen is sort of my hero right now. She is always worrying about others when so much is going on in her life. She even called me to see if I needed anything for the kids for Christmas! (Don't worry about Kaylee's Christmas, Keen's a year round bargain shopper!) She doesn't like to ask for help. She is an amazing mom - Kaylee is well loved and well taken care of. She is the best waitress I know. Customers come and ask for her specifically. Some of her regulars have even offered to pay her bills while she's with Sean. Keen does SO much for so many people. She loves her husband and won't talk about the posibility of him not getting well. She tries to keep him motivated and his spirits up. I don't think I could do all she does. She's pretty much amazing.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Can you tell me your sister's phone #? I am ordering some stuff online from Avon and I can put in a rep's # and they will get the sales credit...

Mandy said...

Her phone number is 435.671.2810.

Heidi said...

Thanks!

Cherlelynn Bednar said...

Wow I can't believe everything she's been through. Please let her know that she's in our thoughts and our prayers and we're thinking of her. We hope and pray that all will turn out well.

Heather said...

ok im retarded and just realized you have two blogs. You are amazing to have two and keep up with both. I think you are both amazing, You and your sister. Im sorry for all that she has to go through. I wish I could help more with your bills, if you are ever a little short on something you need, let me know I'll see what I can do :) I loved reading what you were thankful for and seeing that I was included :). I am so thankful for you too :) I loved reading your Christmas post, I'll have to find the story that you are talking about. I'll try to keep more up to date with this blog now..love you!