BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh, I'm feeling it...

I'm not a Winter Person. Not a snow person. Not even really a Christmas-y type person. Usually, I'm just a Halloween Person. But this year, it's different.

Halloween came and left and I didn't make much of a fuss about it. I wasn't feeling it.

But Thanksgiving - you betcha! We made turkeys out of apples and oranges. We colored pictures of cornucopias, pilgrims, indians, turkeys, etc. I even made a turkey. I wrote a list of things I was very Thankful for. There are a lot of things that weren't listed, but there was a lot that was. I'm very Thankful this year.

This morning I woke up to snow. See?
My normal reaction to a snow day is CRAP. There is a lot of White Crap outside. As a matter of fact, Archer and DarTanion called it White Crap until last year when I told them to just call it snow. But today? Today I smiled. I found my kids warm clothes, coats and gloves. I pulled out their snow boots. I've cleaned my kitchen and am preparing to make banana bread from our bad bananas. I might even attempt fudge with candy canes in it. The plan is to put up our Christmas Tree tonight for Family Home Evening. Home made decorations, even. And I'm giddy. Totally excited for it.


I've been thinking about my 'mixed up' emotions about the holidays this year and I've come to a conclusion. Well, two actually.

Theory #1: I'm growing up. BAH!!!

Theory #2: I'm more in tune with my spiritual side this year.

Christmas isn't about gifts. This year I'm definitely realizing that! It's about a celebration of love for others. Service towards others. Giving to others. For us, this year, we have been on a huge recieving end of things. We've been blessed beyond our wildest dreams. I've felt closer to God and in more of a spirit to serve. I don't (generally) have the attitude or "Man, I don't want to do that" when I'm asked to help out or when I see an opportunity to do something. Instead, I get excited and really want to help out. Really want to do something nice.

Sister Sheri Knight (our Ward's Primary President) is amazing. I just love her. :) Yesterday she read a story during sharing time. It's called "God Bless Your Way". She read it last year and I remember thinking - that's a great story. I should buy it. Well, I didn't. When she read it yesterday, I was so touched by the spirit. The spirit of Christ. Of Christmas. Of giving and sharing and loving others - strangers. It was overwhelming. You know, when you tear up in Senior Primary, it's a scary thing because you don't want those kids to see you cry. But I did. I teared up and had to wipe my eyes a few time. As I looked at the kids in the room, they really seemed to basically be paying attention. But something that amazed me more? Our 2 Valiant Boy teachers were also crying a little. The MEN in the room were crying!!! They felt that spirit too. After Primary, one of them even came up to find out the title of the book because he 'needs to have that story'. It's really that amazing. You should buy it. I'm going to try to find a way to buy it for myself.

So this year, I'm feeling the TRUE Spirit of the season. I'm feeling grateful and spiritual and happy and blessed. I hope to express this to my kids. I hope to help them to feel the spirit of the season and really, truely KNOW the reason for Christmas. Christ.

I love you all.

1 comments:

Damsel in this Dress said...

Mandy! This is probably the dorkiest way to contact you ever, but I figure-Hey, Tag's wife Heather contacted me this way, so I shouldn't feel too bad about writing you on your blog. I was just wondering what would be good to get Tanian for Christmas. Any ideas? I would love to get him something super awesome! ;)